Risks and Harms of Implementing this Recommendation
There is no harm to patients by implementing this recommendation for small to medium size rotator cuff tears. However, in patients with larger rotator cuff tears (>3cm), single row vertical mattress repair may result in inferior PROs and higher failure rates compared to double row repair constructs.
Future research needs to be performed to evaluate for both PROs and failure rates on imaging and reoperation rates between single row compared to double row repair for larger full thickness rotator cuff tears >3cm in size.
- Barber, F. A. Triple-Loaded Single-Row Versus Suture-Bridge Double-Row Rotator Cuff Tendon Repair With Platelet-Rich Plasma Fibrin Membrane: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Arthroscopy 2016; 5: 753-61
- Burks, R. T., Crim, J., Brown, N., Fink, B., Greis, P. E. A prospective randomized clinical trial comparing arthroscopic single- and double-row rotator cuff repair: magnetic resonance imaging and early clinical evaluation. American Journal of Sports Medicine 2009; 4: 674-82
- Carbonel, I., Martinez, A. A., Calvo, A., Ripalda, J., Herrera, A. Single-row versus double-row arthroscopic repair in the treatment of rotator cuff tears: a prospective randomized clinical study. International Orthopaedics 2012; 9: 1877-83
- Franceschi, F, Papalia, R, Franceschetti, E, Palumbo, A, Buono, A, Paciotti, M, Maffulli, N, Denaro, V Double-Row Repair Lowers the Retear Risk After Accelerated Rehabilitation. American Journal of Sports Medicine 2016; 4: 948-956
- Koh, K. H., Kang, K. C., Lim, T. K., Shon, M. S., Yoo, J. C. Prospective randomized clinical trial of single- versus double-row suture anchor repair in 2- to 4-cm rotator cuff tears: clinical and magnetic resonance imaging results. Arthroscopy 2011; 4: 453-62
- (107) Franceschi F, Ruzzini L, Longo UG et al. Equivalent clinical results of arthroscopic single-row and double-row suture anchor repair for rotator cuff tears: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Sports Med 2007;35(8):1254-1260.
- Aydin, N., Kocaoglu, B., Guven, O. Single-row versus double-row arthroscopic rotator cuff repair in small- to medium-sized tears. Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery 2010; 5: 722-5
- Lapner, Pl, Sabri, E, Rakhra, K, McRae, S, Leiter, J, Bell, K, Macdonald, P A multicenter randomized controlled trial comparing single-row with double-row fixation in arthroscopic rotator cuff repair. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume 2012; 14: 1249-
- Ma, Hl, Chiang, Er, Wu, Ht, Hung, Sc, Wang, St, Liu, Cl, Chen, Th Clinical outcome and imaging of arthroscopic single-row and double-row rotator cuff repair: a prospective randomized trial. Arthroscopy : the journal of arthroscopic & related surgery : official publication of the Arthroscopy Association of North America and the International Arthroscopy Association 2012; 1: 16-24