They concluded that STIR MRI sequences most reliably distinguishes between osteomyelitis and Ewing sarcoma. McCarville et al evaluated the use of MRI and CT to distinguish between osteomyelitis and Ewing sarcoma. They were unable to give imaging-based recommendations for diagnosis. Oudenhoven et al (high quality) evaluated the value of MRI in diagnosing bone tumors of the hand. MRI was found to confirm or enhance the diagnostic accuracy of plain radiographs. In conclusion, cross-sectional imaging of some kind (either CT or MR) is helpful in obtaining a diagnosis or planning further diagnostic studies or treatment for bone or soft tissue tumor of unknown etiology with radiographs that show a poorly defined interface with the tumor (e.g. permeative border or wide zone of transition). MRI can greatly enhance the diagnostic accuracy of plain radiographs in bony lesions of the hand. CT of the chest/abdomen/pelvis remains an essential aspect of tumor staging. This will reveal the primary site of metastatic bone tumors in many cases, as well determine the presence or absence of pulmonary metastatic disease in patients with sarcoma.
- Bernard,S.A.; Murphey,M.D.; Flemming,D.J.; Kransdorf,M.J. Improved differentiation of benign osteochondromas from secondary chondrosarcomas with standardized measurement of cartilage cap at CT and MR imaging
- Choi,B.B.; Jee,W.H.; Sunwoo,H.J.; Cho,J.H.; Kim,J.Y.; Chun,K.A.; Hong,S.J.; Chung,H.W.; Sung,M.S.; Lee,Y.S.; Chung,Y.G. MR differentiation of low-grade chondrosarcoma from enchondroma
- De Beuckeleer,L.H.; De Schepper,A.M.; Ramon,F.; Somville,J. Magnetic resonance imaging of cartilaginous tumors: a retrospective study of 79 patients
- Henninger,B.; Glodny,B.; Rudisch,A.; Trieb,T.; Loizides,A.; Putzer,D.; Judmaier,W.; Schocke,M.F. Ewing sarcoma versus osteomyelitis: differential diagnosis with magnetic resonance imaging
- Oudenhoven,L.F.; Dhondt,E.; Kahn,S.; Nieborg,A.; Kroon,H.M.; Hogendoorn,P.C.; Gielen,J.L.; Bloem,J.L.; De,Schepper A. Accuracy of radiography in grading and tissue-specific diagnosis--a study of 200 consecutive bone tumors of the hand