Six moderate quality studies (Davis, 2006; Duivenvoorden, 2013; Gandhi, 2010; Jamsen, 2013; Judge, 2013; Rolfson, 2009) support this recommendation. Mental health disorders were assessed using a variety of validated tools including the SF36 Mental Component Score (Judge, 2013; Gandhi, 2010), the depression/anxiety question on the EQ-5D (Rolfson, 2009) and the HADS (Duivenvoorden, 2013). Functional outcomes were assessed utilizing the Oxford Hip Score, WOMAC or HOOS. The presence of depression preoperatively predicted a lower functional outcome and/or less improvement between pre-operative and post-operative function. In one long-term study (Jamsen, 2013), patients with depression were found to exceed 10% revision rate at ten years; pre-operative psychosis increased the risk of implant failure with Kaplan Meier Survivorship analysis by 40%.
- Davis,A.M.; Agnidis,Z.; Badley,E.; Kiss,A.; Waddell,J.P.; Gross,A.E. Predictors of functional outcome two years following revision hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am; 2006/4: 4
- Duivenvoorden,T.; Vissers,M.M.; Verhaar,J.A.; Busschbach,J.J.; Gosens,T.; Bloem,R.M.; Bierma-Zeinstra,S.M.; Reijman,M. Anxiety and depressive symptoms before and after total hip and knee arthroplasty: a prospective multicentre study. Osteoarthritis Cartilage; 2013/12: 12
- Gandhi,R.; Dhotar,H.; Davey,J.R.; Mahomed,N.N. Predicting the longer-term outcomes of total hip replacement. J Rheumatol.; 2010/12: 12
- Jamsen,E.; Peltola,M.; Eskelinen,A.; Lehto,M.U. Comorbid diseases as predictors of survival of primary total hip and knee replacements: a nationwide register-based study of 96 754 operations on patients with primary osteoarthritis. Ann Rheum.Dis; 2013/12: 12
- Judge,A.; Arden,N.K.; Batra,R.N.; Thomas,G.; Beard,D.; Javaid,M.K.; Cooper,C.; Murray,D. The association of patient characteristics and surgical variables on symptoms of pain and function over 5 years following primary hip-replacement surgery: a prospective cohort study. BMJ Open; 2013: 3
- Rolfson,O.; Dahlberg,L.E.; Nilsson,J.A.; Malchau,H.; Garellick,G. Variables determining outcome in total hip replacement surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Br; 2009/2: 2