Comparing the data of three moderate quality studies (Newman 1998, Murray 2014, Cameron 1988) for early complications there were fewer thromboembolic events and manipulations in the unicompartmental when compared to total knee arthroplasty.
One high quality (Stukenborg-Colsman 2001) and two moderate studies (Weidenhielm 1993 and Borjesson 2005) compared the outcomes of UKA and HTO in patients with predominantly medial compartment osteoarthritis. There were no statistically significant differences in complications or outcomes.
There was no data comparing tibial tubercle osteotomy to patellofemoral arthroplasty or total knee arthroplasty. Likewise, there was no data comparing distal femoral osteotomy to lateral compartment unicompartmental arthroplasty or total knee arthroplasty.
- Cameron,H.U., Jung,Y.B. A comparison of unicompartmental knee replacement with total knee replacement. Orthop Rev. 1988/10; 10: 983-988
- Stukenborg-Colsman,C., Wirth,C.J., Lazovic,D., Wefer,A. High tibial osteotomy versus unicompartmental joint replacement in unicompartmental knee joint osteoarthritis: 7-10-year follow-up prospective randomised study. Knee 2001/10; 3: 187-194
- Murray,D.W., MacLennan,G.S., Breeman,S., Dakin,H.A., Johnston,L., Campbell,M.K., Gray,A.M., Fiddian,N., Fitzpatrick,R., Morris,R.W., Grant,A.M. A randomised controlled trial of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of different knee prostheses: the Knee Arthroplasty Trial (KAT). Health Technol Assess 2014/3; 19: 1-viii
- Sun,P.F., Jia,Y.H. Mobile bearing UKA compared to fixed bearing TKA: a randomized prospective study. Knee 2012/3; 2: 103-106
- Borjesson,M., Weidenhielm,L., Mattsson,E., Olsson,E. Gait and clinical measurements in patients with knee osteoarthritis after surgery: a prospective 5-year follow-up study. The Knee 2005; 0: 121-127
- Newman,J.H., Ackroyd,C.E., Shah,N.A. Unicompartmental or total knee replacement? Five-year results of a prospective, randomised trial of 102 osteoarthritic knees with unicompartmental arthritis. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1998/9; 5: 862-865
- Weidenhielm,L., Olsson,E., Brostrom,L.A., Borjesson-Hederstrom,M., Mattsson,E. Improvement in gait one year after surgery for knee osteoarthrosis: a comparison between high tibial osteotomy and prosthetic replacement in a prospective randomized study. Scand.J Rehabil.Med 1993/3; 1: 25-31