The high quality KAT trial (Breeman 2011 and Murray 2014) favors resurfacing for reasons of decreased reoperation. Four moderate quality studies also favored resurfacing for different reasons. Waters 2003 demonstrated higher anterior knee pain following total knee arthroplasty without resurfacing. Wood 2002 showed higher incidence of anterior knee pain in the knees that had not been resurfaced. One moderate quality study (Barrack 2001) showed anterior knee pain was same for overall KSS, and pain and function subscores, but reoperation significantly more common without resurfacing. Schroeder-Boersch 1998 showed better task knee function scores with resurfacing. Newman 2000 showed increased need for secondary surgery in the unresurfaced group. Partio 1995 showed decreased anterior knee pain in the resurfaced knees.
On the other hand, two high quality study (Bourne 1995) showed improved total Knee Society Scores (KSS) and KSS function scores in patients without patellar resurfacing. Liu 2012 chose to reshape the patella (osteophyte debridement) and found no difference in total KSS and in pain and function subgroups, arguing to keep patella bone stock. Campbell 2006 was unable to recommend resurfacing because of no significant differences in outcomes or complications. The KAT trial (Breeman 2011 and Murray 2014) found no statistically significant differences in EQ-5D score, SF-12 physical component scores and SF12 mental component scores.
- Barrack,R.L., Bertot,A.J., Wolfe,M.W., Waldman,D.A., Milicic,M., Myers,L. Patellar resurfacing in total knee arthroplasty. A prospective, randomized, double-blind study with five to seven years of follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2001/9; 9: 1376-1381
- Bourne,R.B., Rorabeck,C.H., Vaz,M., Kramer,J., Hardie,R., Robertson,D. Resurfacing versus not resurfacing the patella during total knee replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1995/12; 321: 156-161
- Breeman,S., Campbell,M., Dakin,H., Fiddian,N., Fitzpatrick,R., Grant,A., Gray,A., Johnston,L., Maclennan,G., Morris,R., Murray,D. Patellar resurfacing in total knee replacement: five-year clinical and economic results of a large randomized controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011/8/17; 16: 1473-1481
- Campbell,D.G., Duncan,W.W., Ashworth,M., Mintz,A., Stirling,J., Wakefield,L., Stevenson,T.M. Patellar resurfacing in total knee replacement: a ten-year randomised prospective trial. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2006/6; 6: 734-739
- Murray,D.W., MacLennan,G.S., Breeman,S., Dakin,H.A., Johnston,L., Campbell,M.K., Gray,A.M., Fiddian,N., Fitzpatrick,R., Morris,R.W., Grant,A.M. A randomised controlled trial of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of different knee prostheses: the Knee Arthroplasty Trial (KAT). Health Technol Assess 2014/3; 19: 1-viii
- Newman,John H., Ackroyd,Christopher E., Shah,Nilen A., Karachalios,Theo Should the patella be resurfaced during total knee replacement?. The Knee 2000/1/1; 1: 17-23
- Partio,E., Wirta,J. Comparison of patellar resurfacing and nonresurfacing in total knee arthroplasty: A prospective randomized study. Journal of Orthopaedic Rheumatology 1995; 2: 69-74
- Schroeder,Boersch H., Scheller,G., Fischer,J., Jani,L. Advantages of patellar resurfacing in total knee arthroplasty. Two-year results of a prospective randomized study. Arch.Orthop.Trauma Surg. 1998; 0: 73-78
- Waters,T.S., Bentley,G. Patellar resurfacing in total knee arthroplasty. A prospective, randomized study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003/2; 2: 212-217
- Wood,D.J., Smith,A.J., Collopy,D., White,B., Brankov,B., Bulsara,M.K. Patellar resurfacing in total knee arthroplasty: a prospective, randomized trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002/2; 2: 187-193