Risks and Harms of Implementing this Recommendation
As with all surgical procedures, there are potential risks and benefits which are unlikely to be affected by this recommendation.
Long term studies designed specifically to elucidate potential differences in postoperative fracture risk between cemented or press fit stems are needed.
- (84) Deangelis JP, Ademi A, Staff I, Lewis CG. Cemented versus uncemented hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures: a prospective randomized trial with early follow-up. J Orthop Trauma 2012;26(3):135-140.
- (85) Figved W, Opland V, Frihagen F, Jervidalo T, Madsen JE, Nordsletten L. Cemented versus uncemented hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009;467(9):2426-2435.
- (86) Taylor F, Wright M, Zhu M. Hemiarthroplasty of the Hip with and without Cement: A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2012;999(2):577-583.
- (87) Santini S, Rebeccato A, Bolgan I, Turi G. Hip fractures in elderly patients treated with bipolar hemiarthroplasty: Comparison between cemented and cementless implants. Journal of Orthopaedics and Traumatology 2005;6(2):80-87.
- (88) Lennox IA, McLauchlan J. Comparing the mortality and morbidity of cemented and uncemented hemiarthroplasties. Injury 1993;24(3):185-186.
- (89) Parker MI, Pryor G, Gurusamy K. Cemented versus uncemented hemiarthroplasty for intracapsular hip fractures: A randomised controlled trial in 400 patients. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2010;92(1):116-122.
- (90) Sonne HS, Walter S, Jensen JS. Moore hemi-arthroplasty with an without bone cement in femoral neck fractures. A clinical controlled trial. Acta Orthop Scand 1982;53(6):953-956.
- (91) Singh GK, Deshmukh RG. Uncemented Austin-Moore and cemented Thompson unipolar hemiarthroplasty for displaced fracture neck of femur--comparison of complications and patient satisfaction. Injury 2006;37(2):169-174.