A combination of history, clinical examination (Lachman test), and radiographs has similar diagnostic accuracy as MRI for identifying ACL tears. An MRI could be used in conjunction with the history and physical examination.
Possible Harms of Implementation
There are no known harms associated with implementing this recommendation.
Evaluation of the severity and significance of cartilage and subchondral bone injury with regards to the risk of developing future arthritis
- (101) Sharma UK, Shrestha BK, Rijal S et al. Clinical, MRI and arthroscopic correlation in internal derangement of knee. Kathmandu University Medical Journal 2011;9:174-178.
- (105) Siddiqui MA, Ahmad I, Sabir AB, Ullah E, Rizvi SA, Rizvi SW. Clinical examination vs. MRI: Evaluation of diagnostic accuracy in detecting ACL and meniscal injuries in comparison to arthroscopy. Polish Orthopaedics and Traumatology 2013;78: 59-63.
- (107) Singh JP, Garg L, Shrimali R, Setia V, Gupta V. MR imaging of knee with arthroscopic correlation in twisting injuries. Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging 2004;14:33-40.
- (116) Vaz CE, Camargo OP, Santana PJ, Valezi AC. Accuracy of magnetic resonance in identifying traumatic intraarticular knee lesions. Clinics (Sao Paulo) 2005;60:445-450.
- (2) Adalberth T, Roos H, Lauren M et al. Magnetic resonance imaging, scintigraphy, and arthroscopic evaluation of traumatic hemarthrosis of the knee. Am J Sports Med 1997;25:231-237.
- (30) Fischer SP, Fox JM, Del PW, Friedman MJ, Snyder SJ, Ferkel RD. Accuracy of diagnoses from magnetic resonance imaging of the knee. A multi-center analysis of one thousand and fourteen patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1991;73:2-10.
- (38) Gluckert K, Kladny B, Blank-Schal A, Hofmann G. MRI of the knee joint with a 3-D gradient echo sequence. Equivalent to diagnostic arthroscopy? Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1992;112:5-14.
- (40) Grevitt MP, Pool CJ, Bodley RN, Savage PE. Magnetic resonance imaging of the knee: initial experience in a district general hospital. Injury 1992;23:410-412.
- (41) Gul-e-khanda, Akhtar W, Ahsan H, Ahmad N. Assessment of menisci and ligamentous injuries of the knee on magnetic resonance imaging: Correlation with arthroscopy. Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association 2008;58:537-540.
- (42) Ha TP, Li KC, Beaulieu CF et al. Anterior cruciate ligament injury: fast spin-echo MR imaging with arthroscopic correlation in 217 examinations. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1998;170:1215-1219.
- (55) Jah AAE, Keyhani S, Zarei R, Moghaddam AK. Accuracy of MRI in comparison with clinical and arthroscopic findings in ligamentous and meniscal injuries of the knee. Acta Orthop Belg 2005;71:189-196.
- (59) Kinnunen J, Bondestam S, Kivioja A et al. Diagnostic performance of low field MRI in acute knee injuries. Magn Reson Imaging 1994;12:1155-1160.
- (65) Lundberg M, Odensten M, Thuomas KA, Messner K. The diagnostic validity of magnetic resonance imaging in acute knee injuries with hemarthrosis. A single-blinded evaluation in 69 patients using high-field MRI before arthroscopy. Int J Sports Med 1996;17:218-222.
- (89) Rappeport ED, Wieslander SB, Stephensen S, Lausten GS, Thomsen HS. MRI preferable to diagnostic arthroscopy in knee joint injuries. A double-blind comparison of 47 patients. Acta Orthop Scand 1997;68:277-281.
- (91) Rayan F, Bhonsle S, Shukla DD. Clinical, MRI, and arthroscopic correlation in meniscal and anterior cruciate ligament injuries. Int Orthop 2009;33:129-132.
- (92) Richards PJ, McCall I, Kraus A et al. Radiographer led supplementary anterior cruciate ligament MRI sequences: Technical report. Radiography 2012;18:143-148.
- (97) Sampson MJ, Jackson MP, Moran CJ, Shine S, Moran R, Eustace SJ. Three Tesla MRI for the diagnosis of meniscal and anterior cruciate ligament pathology: a comparison to arthroscopic findings. Clin Radiol 2008;63:1106-1111.