Fifteen randomized controlled trials of high quality and moderate applicability compared peri-operative blood loss among patients receiving general, epidural, or a combination of general and epidural, or a combination of general anesthesia and lumbar plexus block. There were eight high quality studies comparing epidural and general anesthesia. Epidural anesthesia resulted in lower intra-operative blood loss. The combination of epidural and general anesthesia resulted in lower intra-operative blood loss compared to general anesthesia alone in two high quality studies. The combination of lumbar plexus block and general anesthesia resulted in lower intra- and post-operative blood loss compared to general anesthesia alone in two high quality studies. Hypotensive epidural anesthesia resulted in lower post-operative blood loss compared to spinal anesthesia in two high quality studies.
Table 64 in Appendix XIV summarizes the reasons for excluding some of the studies we initially considered for this recommendation.
- Borghi B, Casati A, Iuorio S et al. Effect of different anesthesia techniques on red blood cell endogenous recovery in hip arthroplasty. J Clin Anesth 2005;17(2):96-101.
- Borghi B, Casati A, Iuorio S et al. Frequency of hypotension and bradycardia during general anesthesia, epidural anesthesia, or integrated epidural-general anesthesia for total hip replacement. J Clin Anesth 2002;14(2):102-106.
- Chu CP, Yap JC, Chen PP, Hung HH. Postoperative outcome in Chinese patients having primary total knee arthroplasty under general anaesthesia/intravenous patient-controlled analgesia compared to spinal-epidural anaesthesia/analgesia. Hong Kong Med J 2006;12(6):442-447.
- D'Ambrosio A, Borghi B, Damato A, D'Amato G, Antonacci D, Valeri F. Reducing perioperative blood loss in patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty. Int J Artif Organs 1999;22(1):47-51.
- Dauphin A, Raymer KE, Stanton EB, Fuller HD. Comparison of general anesthesia with and without lumbar epidural for total hip arthroplasty: effects of epidural block on hip arthroplasty. J Clin Anesth 1997;9(3):200-203.
- Eroglu A, Uzunlar H, Erciyes N. Comparison of hypotensive epidural anesthesia and hypotensive total intravenous anesthesia on intraoperative blood loss during total hip replacement. J Clin Anesth 2005;17(6):420-425.
- Hole A, Terjesen T, Breivik H. Epidural versus general anaesthesia for total hip arthroplasty in elderly patients. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 1980;24(4):279-287.
- Jorgensen LN, Rasmussen LS, Nielsen PT, Leffers A, Albrecht-Beste E. Antithrombotic efficacy of continuous extradural analgesia after knee replacement. Br J Anaesth 1991;66(1):8-12.
- Juelsgaard P, Larsen UT, Sorensen JV, Madsen F, Soballe K. Hypotensive epidural anesthesia in total knee replacement without tourniquet: reduced blood loss and transfusion. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2001;26(2):105-110.
- Maurer SG, Chen AL, Hiebert R, Pereira GC, Di Cesare PE. Comparison of outcomes of using spinal versus general anesthesia in total hip arthroplasty. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 2007;36(7):E101-E106.
- Modig J, Borg T, Karlstrom G, Maripuu E, Sahlstedt B. Thromboembolism after total hip replacement: role of epidural and general anesthesia. Anesth Analg 1983;62(2):174-180.
- Modig J, Karlstrom G. Intra- and post-operative blood loss and haemodynamics in total hip replacement when performed under lumbar epidural versus general anaesthesia. Eur J Anaesthesiol 1987;4(5):345-355.
- Modig J, Maripuu E, Sahlstedt B. Thromboembolism following total hip replacement. A prospective investigation of 94 patients with emphasis on the efficacy of lumbar epidural anesthesia in prophylaxis. Regional Anesthesia 1986;11(2):72-79.
- Niemi TT, Pitkanen M, Syrjala M, Rosenberg PH. Comparison of hypotensive epidural anaesthesia and spinal anaesthesia on blood loss and coagulation during and after total hip arthroplasty. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2000;44(4):457-464.
- Stevens RD, Van GE, Flory N, Fournier R, Gamulin Z. Lumbar plexus block reduces pain and blood loss associated with total hip arthroplasty. Anesthesiology 2000;93(1):115-121.
- Twyman R, Kirwan T, Fennelly M. Blood loss reduced during hip arthroplasty by lumbar plexus block. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1990;72(5):770-771.
- Warwick D, Friedman RJ, Agnelli G et al. Insufficient duration of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis after total hip or knee replacement when compared with the time course of thromboembolic events: findings from the Global Orthopaedic Registry. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2007;89(6):799-807.
- Williams-Russo P, Sharrock NE, Haas SB et al. Randomized trial of epidural versus general anesthesia: outcomes after primary total knee replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1996;(331):199-208.