However, there was evidence that ultrasound was effective in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Huang et al.75 and Yang et al.76 conducted moderate-strength studies that compared ultrasound to a control group. Huang et al. found that patients who received isotonic exercise with ultrasound had significantly superior ambulation speed, Lequesne Index scores, and VAS pain scores. Yang et al. found VAS pain and Lequesne Index scores were significantly superior at 4 weeks in patients who received ultrasound over those who received a sham treatment.
Due to the overall inconsistent findings for various physical agents and electrotherapeutic modalities, we were unable to make a recommendation for or against their use in patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee.
- (70) Fary RE, Carroll GJ, Briffa TG, Briffa NK. The effectiveness of pulsed electrical stimulation in the management of osteoarthritis of the knee: results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, repeated-measures trial. 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.30258; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21312188; http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%291529-0131/issues
- (71) Zizic TM, Hoffman KC, Holt PA et al. The treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee with pulsed electrical stimulation. 1995. https://www.cebp.nl/vault_public/filesystem/?ID=2503; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8523357; http://www.jrheum.com/
- (72) Trock DH, Bollet AJ, Markoll R. The effect of pulsed electromagnetic fields in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee and cervical spine. Report of randomized, double blind, placebo controlled trials. J Rheumatol 1994;21(10):1903-1911. PM:7837158
- (73) Atamaz FC, Durmaz B, Baydar M et al. Comparison of the efficacy of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, interferential currents, and shortwave diathermy in knee osteoarthritis: a double-blind, randomized, controlled, multicenter study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2012;93(5):748-756. PM:22459699
- (74) Battisti E, Piazza E, Rigato M et al. Efficacy and safety of a musically modulated electromagnetic field (TAMMEF) in patients affected by knee osteoarthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2004;22(5):568-572. PM:15485009
- (75) Huang MH, Yang RC, Lee CL, Chen TW, Wang MC. Preliminary results of integrated therapy for patients with knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2005;53(6):812-820. PM:16342083
- (76) Yang PF, Li D, Zhang SM et al. Efficacy of ultrasound in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Orthop Surg 2011;3(3):181-187. PM:22009649