We suggest weight loss for patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee and a BMI ≥ 25.
There was one moderate- and two low- strength studies included in this recommendation. Physical Function on the SF-36 showed minimum clinically important improvement in outcomes for this patient population. WOMAC function also showed statistical improvement which was possibly clinically significant. Diet and exercise combined revealed improved results. The workgroup considers that the public and patient health benefits of weight loss warranted an upgrade of the recommendation strength to moderate. 53-55
- (46) Focht BC, Rejeski WJ, Ambrosius WT, Katula JA, Messier SP. Exercise, self-efficacy, and mobility performance in overweight and obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2005;53(5):659-665. PM:16208674
- (47) Rejeski WJ, Focht BC, Messier SP, Morgan T, Pahor M, Penninx B. Obese, older adults with knee osteoarthritis: weight loss, exercise, and quality of life. Health Psychol 2002;21(5):419-426. PM:12211508
- (53) Grotle M, Hagen KB, Natvig B, Dahl FA, Kvien TK. Obesity and osteoarthritis in knee, hip and/or hand: an epidemiological study in the general population with 10 years follow-up. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2008;9):132. PM:18831740
- (54) Lee R, Kean WF. Obesity and knee osteoarthritis. Inflammopharmacology 2012;20(2):53-58. PM:22237485
- (55) Muthuri SG, Hui M, Doherty M, Zhang W. What if we prevent obesity? Risk reduction in knee osteoarthritis estimated through a meta-analysis of observational studies. Arthritis Care and Research 2011;63(7):982-990.
- (56) Miller GD, Nicklas BJ, Davis C, Loeser RF, Lenchik L, Messier SP. Intensive weight loss program improves physical function in older obese adults with knee osteoarthritis. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2006;14(7):1219-1230. PM:16899803
- (57) Bliddal H, Leeds AR, Stigsgaard L, Astrup A, Christensen R. Weight loss as treatment for knee osteoarthritis symptoms in obese patients: 1-year results from a randomised controlled trial. Ann Rheum Dis 2011;70(10):1798-1803. PM:21821622
- (58) Riecke BF, Christensen R, Christensen P et al. Comparing two low-energy diets for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis symptoms in obese patients: a pragmatic randomized clinical trial. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2010;18(6):746-754. PM:20206314
- (59) Christensen R, Astrup A, Bliddal H. Weight loss: the treatment of choice for knee osteoarthritis? A randomized trial. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2005;13(1):20-27. PM:15639633
- (60) Jenkinson CM, Doherty M, Avery AJ et al. Effects of dietary intervention and quadriceps strengthening exercises on pain and function in overweight people with knee pain: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2009;339):b3170. PM:19690345
- Miller GD,Rejeski WJ,Williamson JD,Morgan T,Sevick MA,Loeser RF,Ettinger WH,Messier SP. The Arthritis, Diet and Activity Promotion Trial (ADAPT): design, rationale, and baseline results. Control Clin Trials 2003;24(4):462-480.