Before these appropriate use criteria are consulted, it is assumed that:
- The focus of this AUC is on prevention of secondary hip or fragility fracture in patients who have had a previous frailty hip fracture and have received surgical intervention.
- The physician who is prescribing assessments or treatments for a patient is aware of indications and contraindications.
- The physician has an informed discussion with the patient about the treatment options and that the optimum treatment options may change over time for the patient.
- Patient values and preferences are taken into account.
- The patient has given adequate and informed consent.
- The physician would initiate any necessary assessments/treatments as soon as is reasonably possible post-operatively and ideally within 6 months.